Gutter guards normally protect gutters from twigs, leaves, and debris that tend to accumulate on gutters. Having gutter guards doesn’t mean that you should never clean your gutters. Even if you have installed gutter guards that can’t allow debris into the gutter, experts recommend that you should clean the gutters at least twice yearly. Here is how you can clean gutters that have gutter guards.
- Spread a piece of cloth or paper below the gutters you want to clean. It will collect all the twigs, leaves, and other debris that might fall from the gutters.
- Set p your ladder against the house whose gutters are to be cleaned. Position the ladder in such a way that its base rests on a flat area. In case you opt for an extension ladder, ensure that its 3 rungs extend above the edge of the roof.
- Consider securing the ladder by tying the base of the ladder to the nearest tree. Besides, you can request a friend to hold the ladder for you.
- Remember to put on the garden gloves to protect your hands from sharp objects and dirt found on gutters. Also, put on safety goggles to protect your eyes from particles in the gutters.
- Once you are ready, climb the ladder and begin cleaning by first removing the gutter guards.
You can place them on a safe area on the roof, or have your assistant place them on the ground.
Note that some gutter guards are fixed using clips while others are attached without any attachment materials. Therefore, when removing the gutter guards, check how they are attached to the gutter system.
- You can use your hand to collect the leaves and other debris that gutter guards missed. If the dirt is too much, you can use gutter scoop to eliminate the stuff in the gutters. You can damp this dirt in the bucket for safe disposal.
- Once you have removed all the leaves, twigs, and other debris from the gutters, get a brush and scrub the gutters. You can use the garden hose to rinse out the gutters. Experts advise that hose with a pistol-grip nozzle should be used as it allows you to control the pressure.
- Once your gutters are clean, you can now secure the gutter guards back on the gutters.
You don’t need rocket science to clean gutters that have gutter guards. Simply follow these steps.